Monday, November 15, 2010

Snowball Fight!

I was seriously craving some mexican wedding cookies, or russian tea cakes, or whatever you call those little round sugar coated cookies.
I loved them when I was little and now I make them every year around the holidays.
I started searching my cupboards and sadly I was out of nuts, a key ingredient in the cookies. I decided to make them anyway, using what I had on hand, and came up with something great :)

Peppermint Snowball Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour

mix-ins : mini chocolate chips and andes peppermint crunch baking pieces.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Cream the butter and the sugar. Add the salt and vanilla. Stir in the flour (you may need to add a bit more to get the right consistency. You want to be able to handle the dough without it sticking to your hands.)
Mix in the mini chips and peppermint pieces.
Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls and bake for about 16 minutes.
When cookies are cool enough to handle but still warm, roll in powdered sugar to coat. Allow to cool completely before handling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandma would make these with hazel nuts and shape them like fingers and called them lady fingers. They were a favorite of mine as well as divinity from out west, it doesn't set up here, too much humidity....

Verena said...

Oh these look so good! I have to try hem. Thanks for visiting my blog!
Hug´s,
Verena