Saturday, February 20, 2010

I choose cookies

I am guest teaching the young women in our ward tomorrow. I am presenting the value for the month; choice and accountability.
I have found some great quotes on the subject!

"It requires courage to make good choices, even when others around us choose differently. As we make righteous choices day by day in little things, the Lord will strengthen us and help us choose the right during more difficult times.
-Craig Zwick

I love this one! I know that it takes a lot of strength, especially as a young person, to make good choices. I am so thankful for the strength we receive after we have chosen the better part.

"It may make a difference to all eternity whether we do right or wrong today"
-Gordon B. Hinkley

Don't we love President Hinkley! This quote puts into perspective the result that one choice may have on our lives and eternities. Our choices should not be taken lightly and it is important to recognize our eternal goals as we make our choices.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I cannot teach a lesson without a treat! I bring them to Relief Society every month, so I will certainly not be leaving the youth out of the deal. I found a recipe for "Compost Cookies" They are similar to other "garbage", "monster", "kitchen sink", cookies that you may have tried but with a slightly different twist. We will see if the Young Women will overlook the name and choose to eat the cookies!

Compost Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon milk
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup oats

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream the butter with the sugars. Add the vanilla, egg yolks, and milk.
3. Mix together the flour with the baking powder and baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
5. Stir in the mix-ins....chocolate chips, pretzels, graham cracker crumbs, and the oats.
6. Scoop into cookie dough balls using a cookie scoop. Bake 8-9 minutes.

No comments: