Monday, July 27, 2009

A Little Christmas in July


Gingerbread Cupcakes With Caramel Glaze

I love gingerbread! It makes me all nostalgic. When I first started baking I used my grandma's old Betty Crocker cookbook. One of the first recipes I really got good at were these really delicious, big soft ginger cookies. They started my devotion to gingerbread. I found this recipe for gingerbread cupcakes and had to give them a test run in plenty of time before the real holidays roll around. They are really moist and delicious and I made a bunch of them, so if anyone else likes gingerbread....you can stop by and have a few! :)

For the Cupcakes:
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ginger
1 stick butter
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups molasses

1. Preheat oven to 35o degrees.
2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger.
3. Melt the butter in the boiling water and add to the dry ingredients.
4. Blend in the molasses and the eggs.
5. Pour into cupcake liners and bake for 17-18 minutes (these cooked up pretty quick for me) or you can pour all of the batter into an 8x8 inch pan and bake for 35 minutes.

For the Glaze:
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup heavy cream

1. In a saucepan melt the butter with the sugars and the salt. Cook for about 2 minutes until thick.
2. Add the cream and boil 8 minutes.
3. Pour hot glaze over cool cakes and dig in!

1 comment:

Annie and Family said...

yum I can't wait to try them!